MOSAICA sets out to develop a toolbox of generic technologies for intelligent presentation, knowledge based discovery, and interactive and creative educational experience catering for a broad variety of diversified cultural heritages, and selects the Jewish heritage only as a use case for the demonstration of results. To this purpose MOSAICA is introducing two cutting edge technologies:
- the Semantic Web and ontology engineering enabling the conceptualisation and the semantics driven integration of the complexity of the cultural objects, and
- the distributed content management allowing seamless aggregation of highly distributed and diversified content.
MOSAICA will develop:
- Unifying framework for the ontology based conceptualisation of cultural objects and resources, combining domain expertise and ontology engineering,
- Tools and utilities for online communities to become actively engaged in the publishing process, contribute their knowledge, and partake in a dynamic creation and conceptualisation of the cultural resources,
- Knowledge driven, interactive, and user friendly interfaces to the distributed digital content that will allow exploration and discovery of cultural resources through a multifaceted portal designed to deliver unique and creative user experience, and
- Methodology and technological utilities for the design of the so called Virtual Expeditions, defined as thematically organised succession of virtualised cultural objects exposed as Web resources, bound together by a conceptual model, and allowing interactive exploration through alternative trails, or through examination of the thematically pre selected semantically related content.