Semantically Enhanced, Multifaceted, Collaborative Access to Cultural Heritage
MOSAICA sets out to develop a toolbox of generic technologies for intelligent presentation, knowledge based discovery, and interactive and creative educational experience catering for a broad variety of diversified cultural heritages, and selects the Jewish heritage only as a use case for the demonstration of results. To this purpose MOSAICA is introducing two cutting edge technologies:
(1) the Semantic Web and ontology engineering enabling the conceptualisation and the semantics driven integration of the complexity of the cultural objects, and
(2) the distributed content management allowing seamless aggregation of highly distributed and diversified content.
MOSAICA will develop:
1. Unifying framework for the ontology based conceptualisation of cultural objects and resources, combining domain expertise and ontology engineering,
2. Tools and utilities for online communities to become actively engaged in the publishing process, contribute their knowledge, and partake in a dynamic creation and conceptualisation of the cultural resources,
3. Knowledge driven, interactive, and user friendly interfaces to the distributed digital content that will allow exploration and discovery of cultural resources through a multifaceted portal designed to deliver unique and creative user experience, and
4. Methodology and technological utilities for the design of the so called Virtual Expeditions, defined as thematically organised succession of virtualised cultural objects exposed as Web resources, bound together by a conceptual model, and allowing interactive exploration through alternative trails, or through examination of the thematically pre selected semantically related content.